Anniewatta Tunnel - Historical landmark in Kandy, Sri Lanka
Open on Google Maps
7JQC+9W8, Aniwatte Tunnel Rd, Kandy, Sri Lanka
Rating on Google Maps4.30 (145 reviews)
- Saturday: Open 24 hours
- Sunday: Open 24 hours
- Monday: Open 24 hours
- Tuesday: Open 24 hours
- Wednesday: Open 24 hours
- Thursday: Open 24 hours
- Friday: Open 24 hours
ReviewsFrequently mentioned in reviews: Kandy (6) vehicles (6) tunnel (20)
5L. 1 year agoThe spooky tunnel is so beautiful in each other end.
5Nalin k. 4 years agoA rare experience , though the tunnel is only few meters in length . Gives u the feeling of being in an air conditioned room even on the hottest day .
5M. 1 year agoAn Old and bit long tunnel, closed to kandy city. It's a short cut to the city. Easily 2 small vesicles, cars / vans can pass. There is a height limit, so even Google map shows the route, don't get in to that if you're not sure. Also in a rainy day the tunnel crossing is not a good choice for me. For walking inside the tunnel, when there's is traffic, not a good experience. When there is heavy traffic and if you're stuck in the old Kandy road and if you need to get to Katugastota road, passing Anniewatta Tunnel can be experienced.
5Yugantha S. 9 months agoOne of the oldest tunnel build in Colonial era.Located very close to Kandy town ( around 500M from Dodamwala Junction). There is a hight limit so very tall vehicles can't travel though the tunnel. You can walk through tunnel. It is bit dark and cool environment with drops of ice cold water dropping from rocks.
5Danush P. 1 year agoOldest tunnel in the hill country
5Indunil R. 1 year agoVery near to my place everyday I will cross the tunnel
5L. 1 year agoOne of the oldest tunnels in kandy area.
5nasmy a. 1 year agoIt's beautiful feel when you go through the tunnel.
5Sanjeewa A. 3 years ago2Km from Kandy city. Only the small vehicles like Cars and Van can pass through.Build by the british and one of the longest tunnel in Kandy area.
5Chamila K. 4 years agoThere's two main tunnels for the cars and vehicles in Kandy town. One of which is this one. It's a bit spooky to go through this as there's less lighting. But it's a good drive through. It's not much of a long one. Yet nice. Ps. Even some Kandy people are scared to go through 😁
5Shakeeb N. 5 years agoIt’s a tunnel with about 400m long. But tall, wide vehicles can’t be traveled on that tunnel. So that if any big vehicles enters by mistake the both side of the tunnel will be blocked. This tunnel beautiful in the night. And it is also a historical tunnel
5Ian K. 4 years agoThis tunnel was built by the British and can be quite challenging to cross with opposing traffic. Particularly when a sizeable vehicle is approaching yours, you feel a little helpless knowing you have no where to pull for space.
5pushpam d. 2 years agoToo conjusted with vehicles & people mostly the aged & children find it difficult to walk inside it. Still the maintenance is good.
5shanandan s. 2 years agoBritish made. Heritage well kept. ♥️
4Uma D. 2 years agoNeed some repairs
4Leslie Kandy - Sri L. 3 years agoShort cut to city
3Navindra C. 4 years agoSmall tunnel built in British era. only bikes, cars and vans can go through. can enjoy the walk through for sure.
3Robert C. 5 years agoNarrow tunnel which unfortunately I had to walk through to get into town from my hostel. I did not enjoy walking through it as not enough room for cars and people. They could really do with a building a special pedestrian area.
Most Reviewed places nearby
- 4.50 Cinnamon Citadel (3538 reviews) €13
- 4.80 Dalada Maligawa Main Entrance දළදා මාලිගාවේ ප්රධාන දොරටුව (2880 reviews)
- 3.80 Kandy Municipal Central Market (2470 reviews)
- 4.60 Knuckles Forest Reserve (2056 reviews) Trekking & birding in a mountain zone
- 4.40 Kataragama Devalaya (1210 reviews)
- 4.20 The Grand Mountain Hotel (1182 reviews) Refined hotel with a pool & dining
- 4.40 Sembuwatta Lake (1173 reviews)
- 4.80 Getambe Temple (ගැටඹේ පන්සල) (1093 reviews)
- 4.70 Ranawana Purana Rajamaha Viharaya (1002 reviews)
- 4.70 Kadiyanlena Falls කඩියන්ලෙන දිය ඇල්ල (829 reviews)
- 4.60 Kandy Lake (758 reviews) Serene lake with a path & storied temple
- 4.70 Peradeniya Botanical Garden (751 reviews)
- 4.00 Hotel Kandyan Arts Residency (684 reviews) Unfussy hotel with a restaurant & a bar
- 4.10 Wales Park / Royal Palace Park (681 reviews) Hilltop park overlooking city & lake
- 4.70 Kotmale Mahaweli Maha Seya (618 reviews)